Bloody Accident in Butte

Image from the fOREST iNFO website


August Fisher Seriously and Probably Fatally Injured.

Yesterday afternoon about four o’clock, as Messrs. Chastine Humphreys and Charles Swan were returning to Butte from the scene of the new gold find on the Boulder, and when about three or four hundred yards above Davis’s arastra, on the Park Canon road, their attention was attracted by some one’s calling to them, saying that a man was lying near by, all smashed and bleeding. Mr. Humphrey immediately started for the spot indicated, leaving Mr. Swan in charge of the team they were driving, and upon reaching the scene of the accident, which was about one hundred yards to the left of the Park road, he came upon a horrible sight indeed.

The injured man was found to be Mr. August Fisher, employed as a teamster by Messrs. Schmidt & Gamer. The unfortunate man was conscious, but terribly mangled, being scarcely able to speak from the loss of blood and the extent of the injuries sustained. He was lying near the wagon from which he had been thrown, surrounded by portions of the cord wood with which the wagon was loaded. None of the wood was upon him when found, and the persons finding him were unable to tell just how the accident happened. The wagon was upright and the rough-lock in place and perfectly secure, but the rack was partially on the ground. It is supposed some portion of the harness must have given way, letting the pole of the wagon drop down, when of course the driver lost all control over the team and wagon, and in some manner was thrown off and the wood or wood rack falling upon him. The horses were found a few hundred rods farther down the road.

Other assistance coming up, preparations were at once made for getting the injured man into town, and Mr. Humphrey fortunately having blankets with him, a litter was quickly constructed and the man conveyed to Mr. H’s. wagon, and hurried into town and to Dr. Whitford’s hospital. At the time of the writer’s visit the physician and attendants were preparing to dress the wounds, the full extent of which had hardly yet been determined. The left leg was broken and badly mashed below the knee, the head severely cut and bruised, and the left ear gone. Besides this it was evident that he had received a serious contusion about the head, as he was quite deaf, and the doctor feared his skull had been fractured. The injured leg will most likely have to come off should he survive his other injuries.

The Daily Miner (Butte, Montana) Oct 26, 1879

Death of August Fischer.

Mr. August Fischer, an account of whose injuries was given in the MINER of Sunday, died at Dr. Whitford’s hospital at ten minutes to two o’clock a.m. He remained perfectly conscious up to the time of his death, which was very sudden, after he commenced to show signs of dissolution. About midnight Mr. Fischer asked his attendants what the hour was, if it was not most two o’clock? On being told that it was only twelve, and in answer to the question why he wished to know the hour, he said that he should die at two o’clock. He was then asked if he had any communications to make, and he said he had not, and, at just ten minutes to the hour named, his spirit took its flight to the unknown world.

Mr. Fischer was a native of Streson, Germany, and was born on the 8th of October, 1842. He had been married and has a daughter living in Ashforth, Wisconsin.

The Daily Miner (Butte, Montana) Oct 28, 1879

Tags: , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: